Although most people are aware they should be using a VPN while torrenting, the reality of the matter is, they simply do not realize it’s a must.
With the recent shutdown of KickassTorrents & Torrentz, 2 of the top 10 most visited torrent websites on the internet, we thought it would be a great time to cover important reasons why you absolutely must use a VPN while torrenting. We’re also going to cover what are the top VPNs for ultra-fast torrenting, that have the most features – like unlimited bandwidth, an encrypted connection for anonymous surfing, no logs, and much more.
Choosing a Virtual Private Network these days has become difficult as there’s just too many options. Many companies & free VPNs lack key features and options that make it difficult to do a simple task, let alone something thats more advanced like streaming, downloading and or seeding torrents for example.
The recent shutdown of the 69th most popular site on the entire internet KickassTorrents (KAT) is a great reason why you should use a VPN while torrenting. KAT recently shut down following an incident where someone from the same IP address logged in to Apple & KickassTorrent’s Facebook page. This allowed the U.S government to seize multiple KickassTorrent domains and proceed to try and extradite the site’s alleged owner, and two other alleged top members of the site to the United States for prosecution. This is why using a VPN to hide your IP address, is a must.
Essentially every single click you make online especially while torrenting is most likely being watched or logged by government servers, hackers, large media companies, DMCA scammers and more.
We recently had a frequent user of EverydayElectronics who didn’t use a VPN inform us of a situation where they were the subject of an unusual DMCA notice. Cable Network Starz Entertainment, which is home of 50 Cent’s hit series Power, sent a DMCA takedown notice to the user’s internet service provider for allegedly downloading & seeding another Starz series called Black Sails.
The ironic part of this situation is the user in question has not downloaded a torrent since back in 2014, before ThePirateBay’s servers were raided. When he did download torrents, it was specifically music, not TV shows or movies.
Starz requested to stop sharing the material and to immediately remove the file but this was impossible because the file was never in the users possession. ”We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others Starz materials in the future,” part of the company’s complaint read.
One last recent event we want our viewers to be aware of is perhaps the best reason why you should use a VPN while torrenting and it may change the relationship between North American internet companies and their customers forever.
8 months ago on December, 17th/2015 a federal jury in Virginia found that US Internet Provider Cox Communications was liable for the copyright infringements of its subscribers and would have to pay $25 million in damages to music publisher BMG. During the trial BMG complained that tens of thousands of copyright infringements were committed by Cox subscribers, while they did nothing to prevent repeat infringers from pirating.
In North America it’s currently unlikely for your internet service provider to disconnect you for pirating, however that may change with the outcome of this case. Another major downside is that if Cox ends up liable, they may sue the pirating infringers directly.
A few weeks back on August 22nd/2016 Cox Communications announced that they will appeal the $25 million damages verdict and maintained they’re not responsible for copyright infringements committed by their subscribers. The ISP announced they’re taking the case to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
It’s unfortunate but stories like the one’s we mentioned above happen often. They’re great examples of how using a quality VPN will keep your sensitive data safe, aswell as everything else you do online completely secure and anonymous.
When it comes to choosing the absolute best VPN for torrenting aswell as everyday use, we narrowed it down to three choices. EverydayElectronics highly recommends using either StrongVPN, IPVanish, or Overplay.
- A no questions asked 30-day money back guarantee, if you’re unsatisfied.
- Easy-to-use VPN apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Routers, and Linux. Simply sign up, install, and connect, that’s it.
- Watch, listen, stream, and enjoy content from blocked websites and apps from around the world, even while traveling.
- One click install for all of your devices – no tech skills required.
- Secure 3 devices with one ExpressVPN subscription.
- Unlimited speed, bandwidth, and server switches.
- Friendly and helpful staff offer 24/7, around-the-clock support by email or chat.
- 1000+ servers, across 136 cities and 87 countries, with new servers added every week.
- OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), L2TP-IPsec, SSTP, and PPTP protocols.
- Zero logging of your network traffic and no data retention. ExpressVPN does not and will never log traffic data, DNS queries, or anything that could be used to identify you.
- Speed up ExpressVPN with the built-in Speed Test. This unique and very useful feature let’s you choose the fastest VPN server location for your network.
- Pay with Bitcoin and use Tor to browse ExpressVPN’s .onion address.
- Talked about on Tech Crunch, Torrentfreak, Forbes, Time, CNET, Yahoo, Huffington Post & more.
- 99.9% uptime.
- & Much More.
- Access the world’s fastest VPN.
- 100% Online Security and Privacy.
- Assigns you an anonymous, shared IP address, and encrypts 100% of your traffic to ensure your protected while torrenting.
- Easy to use apps for all of your devices.
- Over 40,000 shared IPs, with 500+ VPN servers in 60+ countries.
- Unlimited bandwidth, Unlimited P2P traffic, & Zero traffic logs allow you to torrent with ease.
- 256-bit AES encryption, OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP/IPsec VPN protocols.
- Unlimited server switching.
- Use 5 simultaneous connections on multiple devices with only one Subscription.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Seen in Torrent Freak, Business Insider, CNET, LifeHacker, aswell as New York Post, & PC Advisor.
- 7-day money-back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied.
- Rated #1 VPN on VPNRatings.
- Zero logs, & Unlimited bandwidth allow you to stay protected while downloading torrents.
- Browse and download torrents anonymously with a Military-grade encrypted connection
- Features VPN & SmartDNS.
- Use SmartDNS to access geo-restricted content from outside the US such as Hulu, Amazon Video, & 100+ additional channels.
- Over 400 Servers in 40+ Countries.
- Unlimited region switching.
- Unlimited server switching.
- Unlimited Peer-to-Peer traffic.
- Compatible on mobile, and features easy to use, user friendly apps.
- PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN protocols.
- 5 day money-back guarantee.
- Rated #3 VPN on VPNRatings.